The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Backtracking Begins

CBS Sportsline's Gary Parrish has a humorous look at his earlier pronouncements about how good the Hoyas are in his Monday Look Back column.

While Oral Roberts was upsetting Kansas last week, I was in Nashville watching Georgetown totally dismantle Vanderbilt. So the next day when I spoke with ORU coach Scott Sutton, one of the things he asked was what I thought of Georgetown, because his Golden Eagles play the Hoyas next month.

My response?

I told him Georgetown was big and great, and that the Hoyas might be ranked too low at No. 8. I believed every word. I thought I sounded smart. And then Georgetown went out Sunday and lost to Old Dominion. At home. By double digits.

Note to Scott Sutton: Forget my scouting report.

The Hoyas clearly aren't any of those words I mumbled. Instead, they're merely the lead to the Monday Look Back.

Parrish went on to say this about the GU-ODU game:

Loss to hide from: Let's revisit that Georgetown defeat. The Hoyas were playing Old Dominion at McDonough Arena, a small on-campus facility that served as a comfort zone over the decades. Georgetown had won its past 23 games at McDonough, a streak that stretched back to 1982. Now, that streak is over, and the Hoyas probably can't wait to get back to the Verizon Center. .. or at least Vanderbilt's Memorial Gymnasium.

No comments: