The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Jeff Green Is the Big East's Player of the Year

The coaches of the Big East named our very own Jeff Green player of the year yesterday. Below is some of the media coverage of Jeff's accomplishment.

Green named best in Big East
By Barker Davis
The Washington Times
March 7, 2007

NEW YORK -- In the end, Jeff Green's unselfishness is precisely what netted him the league's top individual honor....
"I'm completely surprised," said Green, a 6-9, 235-pound forward from Hyattsville. "When I came to Georgetown, I never thought I could receive this type of award. It's a great honor for both me, Coach [John Thompson III] and our team. It means a lot because of the way it happened with us winning the regular season. We're so focused on this week and the postseason that it hasn't really sunk in yet. But it's something maybe I'll be able to sit back and tell my kids about one day."

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20070307-124735-5535r.htm<


Green Is Big East Player Of Year
By Camille Powell
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, March 7, 2007; Page E01

NEW YORK, March 6 -- Jeff Green may have been the only person affiliated with Georgetown basketball who was surprised by his selection as Big East player of the year. The versatile junior forward, after all, was the best player and the leading scorer on the team that won the regular season championship. His own coach, John Thompson III, said Tuesday night that Green "should've won it, and I'm glad he won it."
But in the days leading up to the awards ceremony, whenever his teammates asked him if he thought he was going to win, which would make him the first Hoya to earn the honor since Alonzo Mourning in 1992, Green said no.
"I told them I'd rather have Roy [Hibbert, Georgetown's 7-foot-2 center] get it. Because Roy has improved every year that he's been with us," Green said. "It was a big surprise to me that I got this award, because I was really hoping that Roy got it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/06/AR2007030602442.html


Hoyas' Green Top Player
By Tommy Hine
Hartford Courant Staff Writer
March 7, 2007

NEW YORK -- He thrives on filling each positive column on the stat sheet, a big man who takes as much pride in his assists as points.
It was that versatility that helped Georgetown's Jeff Green win Big East player of the year Tuesday on the eve of the conference tournament at Madison Square Garden.
"I like to have a well-rounded game," Green said at the Big East awards banquet at the Grand Hyatt. "I don't like going to games thinking I want to score 30 points just to build my point average. I want to have at least five assists every game, eight rebounds, maybe 15 points here and there. That shows a complete player."

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-beastnotes0307.artmar07,0,15088.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

This one might be my favorite headline:

Demetris Nichols Denied Big East Player Of The Year

http://www.wtvh.com/sports/default.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=4291


There's nothing in the story that is particularly interesting, I just like the hometown bias.

No comments: