The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Friday, March 02, 2007

I Love Jeff Green!

Below are a collection of quotes from one article. Although the tone of the statement about geting his degree made me wince, I love what a great ambassador this kid is for the program. Total class.

Laid-back Green: Not your average player-of-year candidate

"I feel like I can go into a game and get nine points, 10 rebounds, seven assists," Green said. "To me, that's great. But to other people, I need to have 20, 10 and no assists. I'd rather have the all-around game."
. . . .

Green has been a starter from his first game as a freshman, the same year Thompson arrived to help rescue a floundering program. The two are almost peas in a pod -- a coach and a player who have an uncanny ability to focus on one game at a time while blocking out much of the outside static. "It kind of matches my personality, being laid-back, not so aggressive, always smiling," Green said. "I can be angry sometimes, but I'm a laid back kind of guy. I like to throw bounce-passes. I will dunk the ball -- if necessary." Green was almost too laid-back early in the season. He played passively during some nonconference games, and Thompson had to tell him to be more aggressive. Green responded by passing up fewer shots, but his favorite play is the backdoor bounce pass. "My favorite player is Scottie Pippen," Green said. "He was a sidekick, and he played a lot of defense. That's my kind of guy. And he could be aggressive and dunk on you."
. . . .

"I think about our team being the No. 1 team in the Big East. I don't think about all those individual awards. I've been saying that for the past three years."
. . . .

"I don't think about that. I want our team to win the championship. I'm still young. I'm only 20 years old. I've got my life ahead of me. The NBA will come when it comes. I'd like to have a Georgetown degree. That would be kind of cool."
. . . .

Green will look a bit out of place in the NBA when he eventually gets there. He has no tattoos, and he no longer has a distinctive 'do. The braids he once sported are long gone. "I tell everybody I'm growing up," he said. "I can't be 25 with braids, looking for a job."
. . . .

"I put it on myself that we need to beat UConn this year," Green said. "I can't go four years of my career in college not beating one team."

No comments: