The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Thursday, January 04, 2007

OUCH!!!!

EGERSON GONE.


This is a huge loss and could really impact how well we do this season. Summers and Tyler better step it up. As this coincides with the beginning of the new semester, I'm guessing it was related to academics. Marc was a pretty risky selection in that department. I'm sorry the risk did not pay off -- he was a nice player and seemed like a good guy. JTIII's first recruiting class is turning into a major bust. Marc and Thornton are gone, and Spann has yet to see major PT. Sapp seems to be the only real success from that class. (He was ranked in the top 50, and none of the others were, so that is not shocking.)

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010407aaa.html

2 comments:

IPB said...

While I initially expressed shock over this news (and said it would be a major loss for the team), the more I think about this the more I think it may not be a bad thing PROVIDED Crawford and Sapp continue to step it up and Rivers can contribute meaningful minutes from time to time. I am not worried about Wallace. These four must also remain relatively injury-free for the rest of the season.

What this does is makes us even thinner at the guard spot. But Eggerson did have a propensity for jacking up tons of ill-advised 3s and at least we'll only have to worry about PE Jr. doing that now.

I do think we will miss Eggerson's ability to take the ball to the rim though. He was not afraid to battle among the bigs and I give him credit for this.

If his withdrawal is in fact related to poor academic performance, I hope this sends a major message to our coaching staff about the types of players we should be recruiting.

I suspect this was more than simply academically-related though.

Jester of Magellan said...

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but...

Marc may have been the heart of the team, but he also came from an academically suspect background (click here for the NYT's reporting re the same). Given the timing of this announcement, grades are the most likely reason for his exit.

I'm worried that given Marc's size, the key rebounding help he provided, and the tight defense he played, PE2 will get the bulk of his playing time. Rivers is too small to take over for him. Macklin isn't quick enough defensively. And Tay Spann...well...I'm not even going there.

This is bad news given the tough stretch of schedule we're about to start.