The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Tuesday, March 01, 2005

On-Campus arena

How cool do these plans look? I found this by doing some random searching on-line. Check out the design for an on-campus sports complex for basketball -- it has a full arena and three practice courts where the current outdoor tennis courts are. THIS is the kind of facility big-time basketball programs have. I hope JTIII can deliver it!

http://www.hgaarch.com/projects/college/georgtownmp1.htm

5 comments:

Diamond_Mike said...

Okay, I hope you guys got a good look at this before they shut it down. I posted it on the Hoyatalk board a couple of hours ago and I think the university caught wind of it. They probably don't want all of the alumni getting their hopes up. Too bad. What a beautiful facility! If you click on the architect's main site you can still seen the plans in thumbnail form.

Diamond_Mike said...

Wow, now the thumbnail has also been removed! Clearly, we weren't supposed to be looking at this. I wish I had saved the picture as a jpeg. Again, I hope you all checked the blog this afternoon and got a look.

Jester of Magellan said...

Diamond, I looked at it briefly right when you posted it. Was it just the large jpeg showing the entire complex as a kind of aerial with cutaways of Yates and the refurbished McDonough?

I thought it was neat, but I didn't see enough detail (especially of McDonough) to get too excited.

Diamond_Mike said...

Yes, that was it. The exterior looked similar to the new MSF and the SWQ with a large lobby/office area, an arena where McDonough currently stands, and a practice facility with three courts where the current outdoor tennis courts are. That's exciting to me!

Jester of Magellan said...

I was trying to figure out why the tennis courts were inside! Practice basketball courts...that makes sense. Maybe that way the team could learn to shoot so they wouldn't get outscored a zillion to 1 in the first few minutes of the game.