The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Thursday, March 10, 2005

Priceless

Okay, I've got three priceless bits of info to share.

First, check out this exchange between Patrick, Deke, and Yao:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/03/07/first_person0314/

Second, read this description of MSG was West Virginia was pounding BC: "The Eagles, who will join the Atlantic Coast Conference next season, were showered with chants of 'ACC!' and 'overrated!' during the final minutes. " How sweet would it be if BC got bumped in the first round of the NCAA? Other BC-appropriate chants include "Fredo" and "Judas." (Jeff should appreciate how the Fredo chant works on multiple levels.)

Third, I love this email in the Post from a disgruntled Terps fan:

"I'm catatonic. I don't know what to do with myself. I don't know how it's physically possible to lose to Clemson 3 times, twice basically at home. Win any one of those games, and you're in. And you lose three times to Clemson. I don't know if I can ever root for them again. When a team is not very good, or is having a down year because of player losses, or whatever, I can handle that. I handled it for years after Len Bias died. I handled it through the entertaining but fruitless regime of Exree Hipp, Johnny Rhodes, and Duane Simpkins. I handled it through the slightly underachieving Joe Smith, Keith Booth years. But when a team brings back 4 out of 5 players from an ACC tournament Champ. Team, and can't make the NCAAs, and can't beat the CLEMSON TIGERS once in three tries...I just don't know how to process this information. I can't work. I can't think. I can't even begin to think of how to make sense of this. I think the Williams era is over. There were many, many great moments. And I will always remember Gary fondly for doing the impossible, turning the program around and bringing us both a Nat'l Championship and an ACC Championship. But this year has been the most sour I can remember since the death of Lenny. I've never seen anything like it. I'm literally on the verge of being physically sick."

Is this not the IPB as a Terps fan?!? ;)

So the Clemson players want to know if the "BEAT UNC" ralley is still on for tonight. They want to take the metro into College Park to attend: http://clemson.scout.com/2/358913.html

Hey, even if the Hoyas don't make the NCAA we'll always have Schadenfruede as a consolation prize. Visit Notre Dame's message board: http://www.ndnation.com/boards/index.cgi?thepit

1 comment:

IPB said...

I think we may find that disgruntled MD fan in the Potomac tomorrow! DC police should seal off the Key Bridge.

The only point that I have made repeatedly and will make one last time is that we (Georgetown) choked coming down the stretch. As far as I can tell, that's a pretty cut and dry fact.

Failing to beat either SJU or Providence--the two worst teams in the BE--constituted a failure on the part of the entire team, which last time I checked, means the players and coaching staff.

I suspect JTII, given his high standards and expectations, would himself characterize the 5-game losing streak, which included two losses to the bottom-dwellers of the BE, as wholly unacceptable.

To characterize it as anything other than unacceptable and suggest we should all be satisfied and content with achieving as much as we have this season is the sort of philosophy that Joe Lang and the old regime subscribed to. Last time I checked this is the culture and mentality JTIII is trying to change.

That is the only point I have been trying to make. No other conclusions should be drawn from it other than a five-game losing streak sucks no matter how you cut it.

Having seen how much JTIII wants to win, I can guarantee those 5 losses are eating away at him and he is going to do everything in his power to get us over the hump tonight and get us back to the tournament once again.

Here's hoping GU can do it. My only advice to JTII is to keep Brandon Bowman off the court. I'd rather see Kilkenny-Diaw (sp) or Sead get on the floor than BB.