The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Thursday, March 10, 2005

HEART

The guys could have easily folded, down by 11 with 7 minutes to go, but fought back with rebouding and defense. We played worse offensively than we did against Providence but stepped up the intensity on defense and that was the difference. Big win for these guys. I can't imagine there is much left in the tank to take on a well-rested UConn, though.

Here are the post-game comments from JTIII, Brandon, and Darrel:

http://bigeast.org/sports/mbball/champs/quotes/2005/game1_gw.asp

BTW: The IPB must have gone ballistic when Brandon turned the ball over with 18 seconds to go and a 2 point lead. All he had to do was get fouled -- why the hell was he trying to run up the court?!?!

I wonder if Darrel has played his way to a scholarship for next year. His future with this team is still up in the air -- officially anyway.

Great article in the Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22198-2005Mar9.html

The two other BE games were interesting. West Virignia spanked Providence -- basically they did to them what we failed to do; and we did to Seton Hall what they failed to do. Funny how both Hall and Providence looked like much better teams in their last games. Also, it looks like Notre Dame won't be dancing. Rutgers came out and played very well against them. That's gonna kill their RPI and they've now lost 3 out of their last 4.

12 comments:

Italian Stallion said...

I was at the games last night and I will say that although in March a "W" is a "W", it was an ugly exhibition. I too almost jumped down from my nose bleed seats with that turnover in the last 20 seconds. fortunately in the time it would take me to get from the rafters of the garden to the floor, we had the ball back.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in today's games. I wouldn't be shocked to see BC get knocked off.
UConn / GU will be an interesting one as well.

As far as the Rutgers / ND game, though I only stayed for the first half, the Scarlet Knights looked hungry whereas the Irish just looked plain tired and flat. Can't say I'm upset about the result of that game. Also, Rutgers' Dance Team is quite attractive.

Jester of Magellan said...

I thought I saw you on TV Stallion...ESPN's HD picture is fantastic.

In connection to the Washington Post article. I thought it was interesting that they talked about Green having a "sub-par" performance. I know he didn't score as many as usual, but we was absolutely instrumental in blocking shots and getting the big rebound!

Tonight is going to be tough...real tough. But at least we can hold our heads high again after last night's gritty win.

IPB said...

I didn't get to see ANY of the game last night b/c I had to work late.

I am glad that Brandon Bowman's idiocy was on display for a national audience and you all got a small taste of what I've been observing from him all season.

I hope we pull out a win tonight. I am not very optimistic since UConn is the one BE team that has totally dominated us from start to finish in both games this season. Of course, even great teams have off nights so maybe we will catch a break.

Diamond_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diamond_Mike said...

I'm glad someone pointed that out! Jeff Green was a beast last night. We've been losing because of our defense not offense. He stepped up on that end. Sure, he didn't look great offensively but he did a lot of small things that made the difference. When I read that article I thought it sounded like the reported only saw the box score, not the game.

Did you buys an HDTV? I can't imagine how cool it must be to watch a game in HD.

Diamond_Mike said...

IPB: To be fair, we don't win last night without Bowman either, though. His shooting in the first half kept us in the game and Owens got open looks in the second, in part, because of all of the attention Hall was paying to Brandon. He's frustrating but he is also our best offensive player.

Jester of Magellan said...

Diamond: I'm a TV snob now. I hate watching anything in Lo-Def. In fact, I'm debating whether to tape the game tonight because it's on ESPN 2 (which I don't get in HD).

Once you have an HDTV there is no going back.

Once you have a HD-DVR (as I do), you enter into Nirvana.

Diamond_Mike said...

Wow. HD-DVR. I think I would never hold a job, read a book, or have relations with another human being if I were blessed with such a presence in my home. Next year you have to get FULL COURT in HD. That would be true heaven.

Diamond_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diamond_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diamond_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diamond_Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.