The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Friday, October 12, 2007

PE Jr. ... Filling His Own Shoes

I love how well Pat Ewing Jr. has handled playing at such a high level at his Dad's (and Mom's) alma mater. It can't be easy but he sure hasn't shown any strain. Now, he also has to live up to the standard his buddy Jeff Green set--another tall order.


Unfazed by the pressure

"Look, nobody's going to replace Jeff Green. He was one of the best players to ever come through this program, period. It's similar to what I've always said about my father. I'm not my dad, and I'm not Jeff. I don't want to try and become Jeff just like I don't want to try and become my father. That's unrealistic. I just want to be the best player I can be, and if it gets me to where my father was and where Jeff is now, that's great. But as long as I do the things I can do and I'm asked to do as well as I can do them, I feel like I'll be successful in my own right." Ewing's steady improvement as an impact reserve last season certainly bodes well for a Georgetown team that actually faces fewer question marks entering this campaign than it did last preseason. Nobody expects Ewing to match Green's productivity (14.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists) as the league's best player. But few teams have the luxury of replacing an All-American with a seasoned senior who has almost an identical body (6-foot-8, 238 pounds), arguably superior athleticism and a somewhat similar skill set to last year's potent point forward.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071011/SPORTS/110110098/1005/SPORTS

No comments: