The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Where we're at.

Okay, so 8-2 is probably about what we expected going into conference play. I had hoped for 9-1 with the only loss being to Illinois; the loss to Vandy stings but we haven't really hurt ourselves. The wins at UTEP and Oregon are solid but not spectacular. Our current RPI is 86 -- this will naturally get stronger through league play (plus Duke), unless we lose a lot of games. The next five games are crucial. The home games against Providence and South Florida are must wins against clearly weaker opponents. Likewise, St. John's on the road should be a "w," although they've given us fits in recent years, including last year's backbreaker. The two other, at UConn and West Virginia, will be tough. 3-2 coming out of this stretcher and going into Duke would be fine. But we really can't afford to do any worse. I'm hoping for 4-1 b/c I think that West Virginia is not as strong as advertised. IPB and I will be there on Thursday. Bring on the Friars!

In personal news, I met the IPB's latest victim last night. She seems lovely, but unfortunately she is neither a Hoyas nor Celtics fan; I didn't ask about Bill Bradley or Chris Matthews.
Also, over the break I got engaged to a Texan. No date has been announced but we can start discussing the bachelor party -- hopefully, an event with the exotic flare of Jester's and the nudity/drunkenness of Italian's.
BTW: Any job news Jester? I enjoyed the X-mas letter. Which judges did you argue before?
Final topic of discussion: how do we get IPB and Jeff to read and post on the blog. Any suggestions? I've been thinking that we must have some pretty embarrassing photos that could be posted to coerce participation.

6 comments:

IPB said...

Because I actually logged on to check out the blog today, coercing me may not be necessary. Perhaps checking the blog more regularly can be my New Year's resolution. Jeff, however, is an entirely different question.

Jester of Magellan said...

Congrats, Mike!!!! That is fantastic!

On the job front, I received an offer to join Akin's L&E group just this morning. Their formal offer letter should be arriving today or tomorrow. It looks like Jen and I will be back in the DC Metro area before March.

PS - Jeff = lost cause. I'm afraid that the Dark Side has him firmly entwined in its tentacles...but I'm still in favor of embarassing photos. I'll start combing through my archives.

Jester of Magellan said...

Oh, almost forgot, the panel for my argument was:

William C. Canby, Jr.,
Johnnie B. Rawlinson, and
Alex Kozinski.

And, yes, Kozinski was as tough as they say...though he also provided for the best stories.

IPB said...

Mike,

Let me echo Mike's congrats! That's fabulous news and I'm so glad it worked out!

Looking forward to seeing you then!

Best,
Ryan

PS--notice that I've now made two posts in one day, which probably exceeds my 2005 post total!!!

Johnny Shades said...

Just got internet access in the apartment, so I'm back on too.

Congratulations Mike!

Italian Stallion said...

Congratulations & best wishes to both Mikes!