The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Thursday, January 26, 2006

Suspect Ranking

If this has already been covered on the board, my bad. I just realized that GW is ranked # 15 or # 14 depending the poll. I know that they only have 1 loss (to #17 NC State), but looking at their schedule, it seems as if the ranking peeps are exaggerating the weight of the victories. In my mind the # 15 team in the country is a team that would warrant a 3 or 4 seed in the Dance & have a legit chance to go to the elite eight. Does anyone actually think GW is that good?

Their early season wins remind me of the Rheese Gibson era early season games played on campus. The win over Marshall is a big more impressive now given their victory over WVU, but beating Stony Brook, not quite as impressive. Being top of the A10 is cool & they should get an at large bid regardless of the result of the conference tourney, but come on - what kind of crazy pills are these people taking?

Am I overlooking some factor?

4 comments:

Italian Stallion said...

Sorry Diamond, I just saw your comments from the other day.

Diamond_Mike said...

No prob. You are absolutely right. GW is a joke. If you don't play anyone you shouldn't get ranked. This is what happened to them last season and I predict the same for this season -- a first round exit from the tourney.

Italian Stallion said...

It appears that the folks at ESPN are taking the same crazy pills. GW as a # 4 seed!?!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?week=12&pollId=1&season=2006

I think people are putting too much stock in GW's record.

On a different note, assuming GU is to make the tourney (not that great of an assumption if current play continues), what seed do you think we'd warrant? My thinking is that we'd be a 6-7 seed with most folks picking us to go to the Sweet 16.

Diamond_Mike said...

If the season ended today, I think that's right. But there is far too much left to be played for me to speculate. We were 8-3 last year and I thought there was no way we would be any lower than an 8 seed. Then we lost our last five in a row. All we had to do was beat St.John's and Providence and we couldn't even do that. After that level of disappointment, I'm not speculating until we get to 10 BE wins. 10 games to go; we have to win 6.