The Van Buren Boys


The Blogosphere's best source for the latest analysis and
commentary from the world of Georgetown Hoyas basketball.


Monday, December 19, 2005

Things I'm Happy For This Holiday Season.

Well, I guess I really should have titled this post "thing I'm happy for this holiday season," because I'm only going to discuss one of them.

This Wednesday, December 21, 2005, our beloved Hoyas take on the Tigers of Savannah State. This makes me very happy. Why? Because in a preseason of much needed tough games (none that really went our way), this has got to be the easiest game ever. Now, Georgetown would be foolhardy to look past the Tigers to the looming Big East conference season--but that's just because you should never look past any team. The fact of that matter is that Savannah State is horrible.

The Tigers are currently 1-9. Now, lest you be unimpressed by that number let's examine some of those losses. Because I believe in comparing apples to apples, and oranges to oranges, I think the best way to judge how bad they are is to look at how they fared against a common opponent. We only had one common opponent.

Earlier this year the mighty Tigers took on Oregon. Now, Orgeon is a solid program. But they are going to be in the bottom half of the Pac-10 this year; that's just the way the cookie crumbles. They aren't a joke, but they're not a great team either. That being said, the fact that the Ducks aren't a "great team" didn't stop them from beating Savannah State by 60. Yes, you heard/read me correctly--60. Six, zero. We beat those same Ducks by 14. That's a 74 point difference in our performances.

It kind of makes you feel bad for Wiberforce, which is the only school that has lost to Savannah State this year. If you play for Wiberforce you have to ask yourself "how did we lose to Savannah State...we can't be that bad. We're Wiberforce for crying out loud." (You should also ask yourself "how in the hell did I end up at a school named 'Wiberforce'? It sounds like the German version of what Obi-wan taught Luke.")

All I have to say is that I'm pretty sure that we're not Wiberforce, I'm happy that we're playing Savannah State this holiday season, and if I can find a sports book where the spread on the Hoyas is less than 30 I'm plopping down a major chunk of change.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: